Saturday, March 15, 2008

Google Sky @ your Browser

It is Saturday morning and I have been reading "Sky and Telescope newsletter" on my e-mail, when I saw the announcement of the new Google development - Google Sky. I click on the link and the sky came directly in front of me. For those like me, who love watching the evening sky & what is out there, I'm providing some additional information on this new web tool.

Google has unveiled a browser version of its Google Sky application on Thursday, 13th March for people who don't want to download the Google Earth software. Prior, to access "Sky", users needed to download and install the "Google Earth" application - the Web-based mapping software. "Google Sky" was introduced as an additional feature to "Google Earth" (version 4.2) in August last year.
This browser version of Google Sky allows you to zoom in and out the celestial bodies, search for planets, constelations and galaxies and view the sky through infrared, x-ray, ultraviolet, and microwave views. There are also galleries of some of the best pictures from the Hubble telescope and others. You can also listen to podcasts and look at historical maps of the sky.

Enjoy the exciting sky world through Google.

No comments: