In a post dated 1st of April (UKSG Serials E-News) I have mentioned that EbscoHost offers a number of free databases. After contacting Ebsco representatives, we are please to announce that these databases have been ADDED to the UJ Library EbscoHost list (find them at the end of the list).
GreenFILE offers well-researched but accessible information covering all aspects of human impact on the environment. Its collection of scholarly, government and general-interest titles include content on the environmental effects of individuals, corporations and local/national governments, and what can be done on each level to minimize negative impact. Topics covered include global warming, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more. GreenFILE is multidisciplinary by nature and draws on the connections between the environment and a variety of disciplines such as agriculture, education, law, health and technology.The database provides indexing and abstracts for approximately 295,000 records, as well as Open Access full text for more than 4,600 records.
* Teacher Reference Center
Provides indexing and abstracts for more than 270 of the most popular teacher and administrator journals and magazines to assist professional educators.
I have done quick search on "science and research". The top references are:
- Professional development for computer-enhanced learning: a case study with science teachers.Research in Science & Technological Education; May2008, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p3-12
- Virtual teamwork: students studying about ethics in an online environment. Research in Science & Technological Education; May2008, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p13-29
- Teaching chemical bonding through jigsaw cooperative learning. Research in Science & Technological Education; May2008, Vol. 26 Issue 1, p47-57
The above journal is available in print & online - search through A-to-Z list ( the May 2008 issue is not yet available)
* Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts (LISTA)
Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts,(LISTA) indexes more than 690 periodicals, plus books, research reports and proceedings. Subject coverage includes librarianship, classification, cataloging, bibliometrics, online information retrieval, information management and more. Coverage in the database extends back as far as the mid-1960s. It is EBSCO Publishing’s intention to provide access to LISTA on a continual basis at http://www.libraryresearch.com/.
TIPS for searching:
As these databases provide bibliographic information it could be an added value if you search with some of the full-text databases, such as Academic Search Premier. Some of your results can be available full-text through that database.
DO YOU KNOW!
EbscoHost have added some new options for searching. If you are either in the Basic or Advanced Search Screens, you can select from the option "Specific Databases" a SUBJECT group databases to search:
- General/News databases
- Computer Science/Engineering Databases
- Earth/Environmental Databases
- Health Sciences Databases
- Life Sciences Databases
- EJS E-Journals
To summarise it, you can either search:
- selected individual databases
- selected 2 or more databases or
- the SUBJECT grouping from the individual databases available on EbscoHost.