23 May 2008, Vol 320, Issue 5879, Pages 981-1096: Table of Contents
Don't forget that the Library subscribe to the full-text online!
In the 23 May 2008 issue, Science and its online companion Science Signaling explore the stunning diversity and dynamics of the microbial universe. In Science, News stories look at the hidden microbial world inside sponges and ongoing efforts to classify microbes with respect to their environments, while Review articles discuss the microbial processes that drive earth's biogeochemical cycles and approaches to understanding the distribution of microbial taxa and their traits. In Science Signaling, Perspectives explore how different plant pathogens use similar signaling molecules in distinct ways, how gut microbes dampen the host immune response, and how mast cells use extracellular traps to kill microbes.
-Microbes in the Energy Grid
* News of the Week
- SICHUAN DISASTER: Landslides, Flooding Pose Threats as Experts Survey Quake's Impact
- RESEARCH FUNDING: Australia's New Science Budget Gets a Mixed Review
- GLOBAL WARMING: Hurricanes Won't Go Wild, According to Climate Models
- CLIMATE CHANGE: Polar Bear Listing Opens Door to New Lawsuits
- CLIMATE CHANGE: The Threat to the World's Plants
- MICROBIOLOGY: Bacteria Are Picky About Their Homes on Human Skin
* News Focus
- ENGINEERING: The End of an Intellectual Dark Age?
- COMMUNITY ECOLOGY: All That Makes Fungus Gardens Grow
- ASTROPHYSICS: GLAST Mission Prepares to Explore the Extremes of Cosmic Violence
- Free Access to Landsat Imagery
- Science Education: Should Facts Come First?
* Books et al.
- EVOLUTION: Hard Facts About Soft Animals
- Books Received: A listing of books received at Science during the week ended May 16, 2008.
- BIOCHEMISTRY: SNO Removal
- OCEAN SCIENCE: Marine Calcifiers in a High-CO2 Ocean
- MATERIALS SCIENCE: Stronger, Tougher Steels
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY: Slicing and Dicing for Small RNAs
- Extending the Sub-Sea-Floor Biosphere
* Research articles
- Virus Population Dynamics and Acquired Virus Resistance in Natural Microbial Communities
- Regulated Protein Denitrosylation by Cytosolic and Mitochondrial Thioredoxins
- Structural Diversity of Sodium
- Formation of Box Canyon, Idaho, by Megaflood: Implications for Seepage Erosion on Earth and Mars
- Anticorrelated Seismic Velocity Anomalies from Post-Perovskite in the Lowermost Mantle
- Endogenous siRNAs Derived from Transposons and mRNAs in Drosophila Somatic Cells
- The Serine Protease TMPRSS6 Is Required to Sense Iron Deficiency